Brooklyn-based home retailer West Elmannounced today that it will open its new Santa Monica store at 1427 4th Street on Thursday, June 7. The new 25,200 sq. ft. store, relocated from its neighboring 4th Street location, will test new retail concepts as a part of West Elm’s continued commitment to offering customers unique, locally-driven store experiences. West Elm Santa Monica will include community flex spaces designated for a Residency Program in which local artists and small businesses will ‘pop-in’ to develop product, teach workshops, and host events. The program will be inaugurated by two Santa Monica-based artists and businesses, Scott Coppersmith Designsand In My Solitude LAbeginning June 7.
“We challenge ourselves to continually evolve our stores with new concepts that make meaningful contributions to the communities we call home,” said West Elm President Alex Bellos. “Our goal with the Residency Program is to help local artists and entrepreneurs grow their businesses by sharing our resources. We are proud to deepen our presence in Santa Monica, and open our new doors to participants by offering a creative retail space to incubate new ideas and connect with customers.”
The West Elm Santa Monica Residency Program will offer free retail and flex spaces to selected applicants, each versatile enough to accommodate different disciplines and types of businesses. The Santa Monica store will open with two purpose-driven, local businesses that will pilot the program including a gallery of Scott Coppersmith Designs’ showcasing a range of custom marquee signs made with recycled materials and reclaimed wood, as well as In My Solitude LA, a candlemaker harnessing aroma as a means of therapy specifically for cancer patients. Each residency will be unique in its offerings and will vary in length. Throughout the temporary residency, participants will be encouraged to share their creative process with customers, provide insight into their craft and host interactive workshops. To learn more about joining the Residency Program, please send an email to WestElmStores@wsgc.com.
West Elm Santa Monica will continue to expand its assortment of products made by California-based makers and designers through West Elm’s LOCALprogram. Among the 26 local artists featured in the new store are:
- Andy Davis Designs (Way Way Out There, Inc.): Beach and surf-themed prints designed by artist and Southern California Surfer Andy Davis in Solana Beach
- Bossladies Magazine: A printed publication illustrating the growing, global community of creative women entrepreneurs published in Santa Monica
- Cardtorial:Journals and notebooks with covers handcrafted and laser cut from sustainable wood in Los Angeles
- DKNG Studios: Vintage-inspired prints featuring iconic objects illustrated in Los Angeles
- Eric Trine: Colorful, handmade geometric planters and pedestals crafted from steel in Long Beach
In addition to the community spaces and dedicated assortment of locally crafted products, the new Santa Monica store will offer amenities such as:
- Design Crew services, Williams-Sonoma, Inc.’s cross-brand design consultation programwhich pairs customers with experts who can provide design, installation and registry assistance
- A Bouqs Company Flower Shop offering customers a wide array of sustainably grown, farm-direct bouquets, also available on WestElm.com
- A public outdoor patio inviting customers and neighbors to gather and bask in the comfort of West Elm’s modern outdoor furnishings while enjoying wi-fi and community interaction
- Monthly programmingincluding pop-ups, free workshops, and store-led eventssuch as terrarium workshops and crafting classes
West Elm Santa Monica invites the community to celebrate the new store opening by participating in its grand opening activities including:
- Grand Opening Party on Wednesday, June 13 from 6 - 8 p.m.:
- Meet LA-based creatives Kelly and Jeff Mindell (Instagram: @jeffmindell), the couple behind Studio DIY (Instagram: @StudioDIY), the digital lifestyle brand known for its colorful content and products
- Snap photos in an interactive photo booth provided by Leesa Sleep
- Take home a complimentary flower bouquet from The Bouqs Company
- Shop for a good cause: A portion of the night’s proceeds will go to the 18th Street Art Center, the largest artist residency program in Southern California
- RSVP to the celebration by visiting: www.westelmsantamonica.splashthat.com
- Special edition West Elm Santa Monica tote bag: Beginning Thursday, June 7, and while supplies last, the first 300 shoppers with a $50 minimum purchase will receive a special edition West Elm Santa Monica tote bag.
For up-to-date information on in-store promotions and events, customers are encouraged to “like” the West Elm Santa Monica store on Facebook: www.facebook.com/westelmsantamonicaand follow the store on Instagram: @westelmsantamonica. West Elm Santa Monica is open Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. The store’s address is 1427 4th St., Santa Monica, CA 90401 and the phone number is (310) 260-1073. Applicants interested in joining the West Elm Santa Monica team may send an email to WestElmStores@wsgc.com.